Fraudsters on Dating Websites
It will not come as a surprise that dating services are immensely popular these days. Today people lack time for a busy social life. They look for opportunities to combine work and social life. Online dating has become a solution in this respect. It is a modern way of meeting new people and establishing connections. However, it can be used not for the benefit of humanity. There are a lot of schemes developed to fool you and get money out of you. Knowing as much as possible is a good way to protect yourself online.
- Do not share personal information. Users of dating websites are recommended not to use a real name. You can tell it in a private conversation. Fraudsters use personal information for blackmail. Publishing personal info makes you an easy target. If you are worried about your personal life, you definitely do not want other people to know that you are using dating services.
- Moving from a dating service website to another app arises concerns. People using dating apps according to their purpose will not ask you to switch to a different app. Dating websites try to do their best to provide safety to their users. All registered profiles undergo verification. Suspicious profiles and activities are usually banned. Once you leave the website, the service cannot guarantee you any safety or provide assistance.
- Asking for money is the oldest but still the most widely-spread scheme. You make a connection with someone on a website. Once you have built trust, you are asked to support financially. The reasons are different and very sensitive. It can be a sick relative, bank problem or lack of money to come and see you. No matter what the reason is, do not send money. Victims of financial schemes tend to lose around 5,000 – 10,000 dollars. Scammers build relations with their victims in such a way that they can never believe that it is all about the money.
- Sending a photo in exchange for private info is another fraudulent scheme. The reasons why the user is not posting or sending a photo can be different. Nevertheless, other users should not buy it. Disclosing personal data is risky for the same reason mentioned above. Your info can be used in other fraudulent schemes. The same refers to your photos. It is not recommended to send too private photos. There is no guarantee they will not be used on other websites as fake accounts.
- Half filled in profile pages present a certain risk. People really searching for relations usually provide as much info as possible. They want to introduce themselves and attract other users. Some of these accounts might be fake too. However, when a profile page is half empty, it makes you think that people are not really into anything serious.
- Dating websites can be used for people trafficking. Beware if a user asks you to meet and not to tell anyone about that. Once you decide to meet, do it in a crowded place. Let your relatives or friends know about the upcoming meeting.
Identifying a scammer is possible, once you have enough info. Beware to protect yourself.